Tox Town provides information in non-technical language on many well-known chemicals found in everyday locations. Chemical information is provided from the TOXNET and MedlinePlus resources of the National Library of Medicine, as well as other authoritative sources.
There are two versions of each neighborhood. Click on one of the neighborhoods pictured on the right -> to go to the graphic version of each neighborhood. Or click on the neighborhood name in the list on the left <- for a text version. The graphic version includes sounds, animation, and other special features. The content is identical for both versions.
For chemical information, click on one of the neighborhoods pictured on the right -> to go to the graphic version of each neighborhood. Then click on the 'All Chemicals' button for a list of over 40 chemicals. Or click on the left <- for a text version list.
Click on a chemical, like Arsenic or Carbon Monoxide, to see where it might be found in a neighborhood. There is a description for each chemical and links to basic information about how a chemical might affect one's health.
For more on Tox Town chemicals:
- About answers how chemicals are selected for Tox Town.
- Are these chemicals in MY community?
- Chemicals in Tox Town
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Carbon Dioxide
- Carbon Monoxide
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
- Crude Oil
- Endocrine Disruptors
- Ethylene Glycol
- Ethylene Oxide
- Natural Gas
- Nitrogen Oxides
- Particulate Matter
- Perchloroethylene (PCE, PERC)
- Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)
- Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
- Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDEs)
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs)
- Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Sulfur Dioxide
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Last updated: December 9, 2014